Major General Michael S. Stough
Vice Director, Joint Force Development, J7
Download Hi-Res Image
Maj. Gen. Michael S. Stough is the Vice Director, Joint Force Development, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C. In this capacity, General Stough assists the director with all facets of joint force development, including PME, training, exercises, doctrine, lessons learned, and concept development and experimentation.
General Stough entered the Air Force in 1984 as a distinguished military graduate of the U.S. Air Force Officer Training School. He has served in a variety of operations and staff positions throughout his career. General Stough has served as a legislative affairs specialist at U.S. Transportation Command; chief of senior officer management at Air Mobility Command; and operations officer and commander of a KC-10 squadron. He also commanded an Air Mobility Operations Group and was the commander of the 100th Air Refueling Wing at RAF Mildenhall, England. General Stough's most recent assignment was deputy director of Strategic Plans, Requirements, and Programs, at Headquarters Air Mobility Command. General Stough has flown the C-23, C-141, C-20, KC-10 and KC-135 weapon systems.
1983 Bachelor of science degree, Computer and Information Systems, Troy State University
1986 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1994 Master's degree in Business Administration, City University
1996 Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
2000 Air War College (seminar)
2003 National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, DC
1. April 1984 - March 1985, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. April 1985 - June 1988, flight examiner, C-23A, 10th Military Airlift Squadron,
Zweibrucken Air Base, West Germany
3. July 1988 - July 1992, assistant chief, wing combat tactics and techniques branch, and flight examiner, C-141B, 437th Military Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C.
4. August 1992 - July 1995, chief, aircrew training, and C-20 Instructor Pilot, 99th Airlift Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
5. August 1995 - June 1996, student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
6. July 1996 - May 1998, member Command-In-Chief's action group, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. June 1998 - March 2001, director of operations and commander, 32d Air Refueling Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
8. March 2001 - June 2001, deputy commander, 305th Operations Group, McGuire AFB, N.J.
9. July 2001 - July 2002, chief, senior officer management, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. August 2002 - June 2003, student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C. 11. July 2003 - June 2005, commander, 615th Air Mobility Operations Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
12. June 2005 - June 2007, commander, 100th Air Refueling Wing, Royal Air Force Station Mildenhall, England
13. July 2007 - July 2008, chief, Global Mobility Division, Directorate of Strategic Plans and
Programs, Pentagon, Washington, DC
14. July 2008 - July 2009, chief, Program Integration Division, Directorate of Strategic Plans and Programs, Washington, DC
15. August 2009 - April 2012, deputy director, Strategic Plans, Requirements, and Programs, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Illinois
16. April 2012 - present, Vice Director, J-7, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 1996 - May 1998, member Command-In-Chief's action group, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill, as a major.
2. April 2012 - present, Vice Director, J-7, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a major general
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,400
Aircraft flown: C-23, C-141, C-20, KC-10, and KC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two campaign stars
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 1984
First Lieutenant March 1986
Captain March 1988
Major December 1995
Lieutenant Colonel September 1998
Colonel July 2003
Brigadier General June 2009
Major General Frocked
(Current as of May 2012)