Maj. Gen. Daniel H. Tulley is the Vice Director for Joint Force Development (J7) on the Joint Staff, Arlington, Virginia. Supporting the Director, J7, he provides oversight and direction of a diverse organization that provides for joint training, joint force development, concept development, operational analysis and lesson-learned activities to achieve the chairman’s vision for the National Military Strategy.
Maj. Gen. Tulley received his commission from Duke University in 1992. He has had multiple flying tours and served as an instructor pilot in several weapons systems, deploying extensively. He has commanded at the squadron, group, and wing levels, and his staff assignments include Air Mobility Command, the Joint Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force and he was the Senior Military Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force. Prior to his current position, Maj. Gen. Tulley was the Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar.
1992 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Duke University, Durham, N.C.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2003 Master of Aeronautical Science, Certificate in Business Administration and Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 National Defense Fellow, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Medford, Mass.
2011 Joint and Combined Warfighting School – JPME Phase II, Norfolk, Va.
2012 Logistics Technology Seminar, University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill
2013 Senior Developmental Education, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2014 Joint Task Force Commander Training Course, U.S. Northern Command, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2014 Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate, Villanova University, Villanova, Pa.
2015 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill
1. August 1993–August 1994, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
2. December 1994–September 1996, KC-135R Pilot, 91st Air Refueling Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
3. September 1996–August 1999, KC-135R Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot, and Mobility Officer, 91st Air Refueling Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. August 1999–February 2000, KC-135R Instructor Pilot and Group Tactics Officer, 6th Operations Support Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
5. February 2000–May 2002, C-130E Aircraft Commander, Executive Officer, Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 61st Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. May 2002–May 2004, Chief, Special Assignment Airlift Missions Planning, Tanker Airlift Control Center, and Chief, C-21, C-12, C-9, UH-1 Requirements, Directorate of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. May 2004–January 2006, Special Missions Aircraft Commander, Executive Officer and Tactics Officer, 1st Airlift Squadron, Operations Officer, 89th Operations Support Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
8. January 2006–January 2007, Executive Officer to the Commander, Eighteenth Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. February 2007–February 2009, Commander, 41st Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
10. February 2009–July 2009, Deputy Commander for Operations, 19th Operations Group, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
11. July 2009–May 2010, National Defense Fellow, the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Medford, Mass.
12. May 2010–July 2012, Directorate for Logistics, Joint Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. July 2012–August 2014, Commander, 43rd Airlift Group, Pope Field, N.C.
14. August 2014–July 2016, Commander, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
15. July 2016–April 2017, Chief, Rapid Global Mobility Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
16. April 2017–February 2018, Chief, Program Integration Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
17. February 2018–June 2019, Senior Military Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. June 2019–June 2021, Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
19. July 2021–present, Vice Director for Joint Force Development J-7, the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. May 2010–July 2012, Chief, Strategy Division, Directorate for Logistics, Joint Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
2. July 2021–present, Vice Director for Joint Force Development J-7, the Joint Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a brigadier general and major general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,000 hours
Aircraft flown: T1-A, T-37B, C-12F, C-40B/C, C-130E/H/J, KC-135R/T, RC-135V/W, E-8C and B-52H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 16, 1992
First Lieutenant Dec. 23, 1994
Captain Dec. 23, 1996
Major May 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Mar. 2, 2019
Major General Aug. 3, 2021
(Current as of August 2021)