Lt. Gen. Sam C. Barrett is the Director for Logistics, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. As the Director for Logistics, he integrates logistics planning and execution in support of global operations and assists the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in fulfilling his responsibilities as the principal military advisor to the President and Secretary of Defense.
General Barrett received his commission after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1988 with a Bachelor of Science in General Studies. A command pilot with more than 4,400 hours in the C-141B, T-1A, KC-135R/T, C-40B, C-21, and C-17A, he has commanded at the squadron, wing and numbered air force levels. He also served as the Director of the U.S. Central Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center (CDDOC), Commander of the Joint Enabling Capabilities Command, and Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence, and Nuclear Integration at Headquarters Air Mobility Command. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Illinois.
General Barrett is a distinguished graduate with a Master of Operational Art and Science from the Air Command and Staff College, an outstanding graduate of the Air War College, and a distinguished graduate with a Master of National Security and Strategic Studies from the Naval War College.
1988 Bachelor of Science in General Studies, U. S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Master’s degree in aeronautical science, with distinction, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla. 2001 Distinguished graduate, Master of Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Outstanding graduate, Air War College, by correspondence
2007 Distinguished graduate, Master of National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2010 U.S. Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2012 Alan L. Freed Associates Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2017 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Joint Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 Senior Executives in National and International Security, Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, MA
1. July 1988 - July 1989, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. August 1989 - October 1989, Student, C-141B Combat Crew Training, Altus AFB, Okla
3. November 1989 - December 1993, Strategic Airlift Pilot, Instructor Pilot, and Executive Officer, 20th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
4. January 1994 - February 1994, Student, Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
5. March 1994 - June 1994, Student, T-1A Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. July 1994 - March 1996, T-1A Check Pilot, and Chief of Training, 86th Flight Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
7. April 1996 - March 1998, T-1A Initial Cadre Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Operations Group Standardizations/Evaluations, and Flight Commander, 48th Flying Training Squadron and 14th Operations Group, Columbus AFB, Miss.
8. March 1998 - June 1998, Student, KC-135R Combat Crew Training, Altus AFB, Okla.
9. July 1998 - June 2000, Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Readiness Flight Commander, and Assistant Operations Officer, KC-135R, 97th Air Refueling Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
10. July 2000 - June 2001, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2001 - June 2002, Special Actions Officer, AETC Command Action Group, Randolph AFB, Texas
12. June 2002 - June 2003, Executive Officer to the Vice Commander, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
13. June 2003 - May 2004, Operations Officer, 350th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
14. May 2004 - March 2006, Commander, 350th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
15. March 2006 - June 2006, Deputy Commander, 22nd Operations Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
16. July 2006 - June 2007, Student, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
17. July 2007 - June 2009, U.S. Transportation Command liaison to North American Aerospace Defense and U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
18. July 2009 - May 2010, Vice Commander, 15th Airlift Wing, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
19. May 2010 - July 2012, Commander, 15th Wing, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
20. July 2012 - January 2014, Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
21. January 2014 - January 2015, Director of CENTCOM Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, Camp Arifjan, Kuwait
22. February 2015 - July 2017, Commander, Joint Enabling Capabilities Command, U.S. Transportation
23. August 2017 - July 2018, Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
24. July 2018 – August 2020, Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
25. August 2020 – present, Director for Logistics, Joint Staff, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2007 - July 2009, U.S. Transportation Command Liaison to North American Aerospace Defense, and U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a colonel
2. January 2014 - January 2015 Director of CENTCOM Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, as a brigadier general
3. February 2015 - July 2017, Commander, Joint Enabling Capabilities Command, U.S. Transportation Command, Norfolk, Va., as a brigadier general
4. August 2020 – present, Director for Logistics, Joint Staff, Arlington, VA, as a Lieutenant General
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,400
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, C-141B, T-1A, KC-135R/T, C-21, C-40B, and C-17A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Saudi Arabian Kuwaiti Liberation Medal
Kuwaiti Liberation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1988
First Lieutenant June 1, 1990
Captain June 1, 1992
Major Oct. 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2003
Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Brigadier General Nov. 2, 2013
Major General Sept. 2, 2017
Lieutenant General Sept. 4, 2020
(Current as of September 2020)